Better Places 2023 Annual Report
Better Places supports community-led projects that create, revitalize, or activate public spaces that bring people together to build welcoming and thriving communities across Vermont.
Better Places is a community matching grant program empowering Vermonters to create inclusive and vibrant public places serving Vermont's designated downtowns, village centers, new town centers, or neighborhood development areas. The program is led by the Vermont Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) in partnership with the Vermont Community Foundation and Patronicity.
Better Places is a place-based economic development program that:
- Activates and revitalizes public spaces to build vibrant communities
- Empowers residents to play an active role in shaping their community
- Advances “quick build” projects which boost community confidence and local pride
- Builds inclusive and welcoming spaces for social connection, health, and recreation
- Increases integrity of and equitable access to green spaces
- Stimulates the creative economy and provides equitable access to the arts
- Spurs entrepreneurship, partnerships, and public and private investment
- Connects viable projects to individual contributors and matching funds
Read more about the program and its lasting impact on Vermont communities in the 2023 Annual Report.